Tuesday, October 1, 2013


 A BOX OF LOVE FROM HOME! 


I'm a little behind on posting updates from Sister Carr. It's been a little busy around our house as we help prepare another daughter to leave on her mission.  
We did manage to get our first care package sent out to AJ in the Philippines. It was a large box stuffed with all of her favorite things from home.  In her letter she wrote that she loved the package, but could we send more!!!   Really??  The package we sent weighed 31lbs!!   But, of course I'm working on another package.
Below is the letter we received from AJ on 9/22/13.



Hello there family!! I am doing really well and I am happy to hear you are too!

I have a lot to tell you so here it goes:
 
So first sad story...I only got to enjoy one bowl of my cereal cause it got knocked over and all of spilt all over the floor...I was so sad. ): 

Also, you know how I told you about our investigator Gilbert...well Gilbert isn't his name.  Tha'ts what happens when two foreigners try to remember Filipino names. Haha! We are just hoping that somewhere out there there is a man named Gilbert who is ready to receive the gospel, haha. His name is actually Rodel.  

Dad I loved that you and Bro. Day went and gave a priesthood blessing. We could surely use your priesthood here cause we have a less active member with a word of wisdom problem too. Ughhh Filipinos drive me crazy...but I am trying to just love them, and see them for their potential and the way heavenly Father would.

Sister Merrill and I got added a new area. We now have San Vicente W, Mabanogbog, Isla-leet, and Camantilles.  It's hard having to open new areas but it is never boring. 

I remember in your last email you told me if I needed anything else I could tell you...the truth is I do but I feel bad asking for another package. But I don't know if I will be staying in Urdaneta for another transfer and if I don't then it would take a long time for me to get my packages. So here are some things I would like pero I will let you decide what and when to send it:
 
 Melaluca oil
-the largest bottle of Cetaphil facewash you can find at Walmart
-Bath and Body works hand sanitizer or just a large thing of Germx
-SNACK FOODS!!!!
 
It hasn't been the easiest thing to find snack foods. They don't have anything gluten free. I am living off of rice, eggs, potatoes, corn, apples and bananas...and what you sent me in your package of love...also, I am almost out of  Peanut m&ms (: 
-a stain pen
-thermometer
 
 I think that is it...I trust you guys....your box you sent was INCREDIBLE !!
 
THIS WEEK SISTER MERRILL TOLD ME I WAS ONE BLESSED CHILD, NO WORDS HAVE EVER BEEN MORE TRUE. THANK YOU SO MUCH...SINCERELY. YOU AND DAD ARE AMAZING AND I LOVE YOU SO MUCH. I REALLY APPRECIATE EVERYTHING. I HOPE YOU KNOW THAT.

OH AND ALSO, MY CAMERA ISN'T WORKING RIGHT. THE LENS IS ALL WEIRD. I WAS GOING TO SEND IT HOME TO YOU TO GET FIXED BUT THE PEOPLE AT LBC SAID I COULDN'T CAUSE IT WAS TOO RISKY.  SO RIGHT NOW I AM NOT ABLE TO TAKE PICTURES. ): I AM HOPING I CAN GET IT FIXED. 

OH ALSO THIS JUST CAME TO ME. CAN YOU SEND ME TORTILLA CHIPS? THEY HAVE SALSA...JUST NO CHIPS HERE...): 

OH AND ALSO...RECORD (AUDIO) SARAH'S SETTING APART BLESSING AND TYPE IT OUT FOR HER SO SHE CAN HAVE IT AND SO I CAN READ IT. I WISH WE HAD DONE THAT FOR ME PERO IT'S OK. 

ALSO YOU GUYS I LOVE THE SCRIPTURES!! NOW I KNOW WHAT YOU MEANT MOM WHEN YOU SAID YOU COULD READ THEM ALL DAY!!! SO GOOD!
 
I ALSO WANT TO TELL YOU GUYS HOW PROUD I AM OF YOU ALL FOR WORKING WITH THE MISSIONARIES!! CONTINUE TO DO IT. THAT IS SOMETHING THEY DON'T DO HERE AND IT'S A TRIAL SISTER MERRILL AND I ARE BATTLING.  
 
 I PRINT OUT ALL MY EMAILS YOU SEND ME AND READ THEM LATER SO MAKE THEM AS LONG AS YOU WANT (: 

WELL MY EMAIL TIME IS DRAWING TO A CLOSE. BUT FIRST HERE ARE SOME THINGS SARAH NEEDS TO BUY.
 
 - BABY WIPES, THERMOMETER, ACE BANDAGES, HAND SANITIZER, COTTON BALLS/ Q TIPS, BUG SPRAY WITH LITTLE DEET- THE DEET HAS BEEN BURNING MY SKIN SO I HAVE BEEN USING THE MELALUCA OIL TO HEAL BUG BITES. THAT IS ALL I CAN THINK OF NOW...NEXT WEEK I WILL SEND MORE. 

MOM AND DAD- FAMILY I SEND MY LOVE TO YOU EVERYDAY NUMEROUS TIMES. I HOPE IN SOME WAY YOU CAN FEEL IT. I LOVE ALL OF YOU GUYS MORE THAN YOU CAN COMPREHEND. THANK YOU FOR EVERYTHING. 

OH, AND IS MEGAN ON HER MISSION?? AND RJ??? CAN SOMEONE TELL ME??
 
ANYWAY, I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU!!!

MAHAL,
SISTER CARR
 
 
More Missionary Challenges 9/29/13

Our letter this week from Sister Carr was troublesome to say the least.  Her letter began by her stating that she wasn't doing very well.  She and her companion were walking back to their apartment one night last week and they came upon a husband beating his wife up in the street.  AJ said the the husband had his wife on the ground and was kicking her, pulling her across the street by her hair and hitting her with a rock.  There were other people out watching the incident, but no one was stepping in to help the lady.  AJ and her companion yelled at the man to stop and they called the police for help.  
Our daughter was very disturbed by what she saw, and the fact that no one was even trying to help the woman.  She wrote that she wasn't sure if the lady was alive or not. 

Not only did our daughter and her companion report what they saw to the police, but they called their mission president and he was able to counsel them on what to do and made sure they were safe. 

This incident has shaken our daughters faith in people. She just didn't understand how people could watch such an awful thing taking place and do nothing about it.  The response she got from some on-lookers was that the couple had been drinking, the husband was drunk and this happens all the time. 

We wrote her back and tried to comfort her and remind her that while there are some people whose behavior is confusing and disappointing there are also many many good people out there and she can't let one isolated incident tarnish her view on everyone.  If she looks for the good in people, she will find it. 

She is trying very hard to love and serve the people of the Philippines. The culture is very different and she struggles with some things, but we keep reminding her of the work she is there to do and that regardless of the cultural differences they are children of God and He loves them and he has sent her there to serve them in any capacity she can. 

As a parent I HATE to hear that my daughter is facing these challenges, but I believe that the experiences she will have on her mission will help mold her into the person, wife, mother, friend that God needs her to be. 

Her camera still isn't working so no pictures again this week, but we were able to get this picture of Sister Carr and her companion from another source.  We are always happy to see her smiling face!!

Not sure who they are wishing a Happy Birthday too, but we just love to see pics of Sis C. and her companion Sis.M


 
My next post will include missionary prep updates on our daughter Sarah who will be leaving in 2 1/2 weeks to serve her mission in Mexico!
 





 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment